What do you know about the dwarf rabbit?

The dwarf rabbit is a pet that has become fashionable in recent years. This is because it has many characteristics that make this animal a pet easy to care for and that provides a lot of love.
They are clean, non-smelling, very loving, easy to maintain, small, ideal as pets for children, they are neither dangerous nor aggressive, they are intelligent, loving and somewhat scary.

How big are dwarf rabbits?

Its small size makes it very attractive as a pet as it does not take up much space. Dwarf rabbits weigh between 800 and 1,800 grams. The most common breeds are angora (silky and long hair), rex (short and thick hair), lion’s head (long hair around the neck) and belief (this is larger than the previous 1,800 to 2,500 gr. and have fallen ears).

How long does a dwarf rabbit live?

The life expectancy of dwarf rabbits has been comparable to that of a medium-sized dog, it is 8 to 10 years. If properly nourished and cared for, it can live for more than 13 years.

What do dwarf rabbits eat?

It is essential to provide them with a complete and balanced diet. The greatest input of feed has to be through quality hay. 80% of your diet has to be hay, so it has to be of high quality. There is hay enriched with other herbs such as chamomile, carrot or dandelion. To complete their diet, the other 20% must be divided between a specific feed for dwarf rabbits and fresh fruits and vegetables. From time to time we can reward our rabbit with a treat, as long as it is specific to him like the honey sticks.

What should a dwarf rabbit’s house look like?

If we have several rabbits, individual cages are ideal. At a minimum, each cage should be at least 80 cm long x 50 cm wide x 40 cm high. With these measures, the rabbit can exercise and move around the cage easily. Even if we provide the best cage for our rabbit, we have to take into account that we have to take it out of the cage whenever we can because it is very important for it to exercise and in this way we also interact more with it. If we take you to the park or to an area where you are at risk of escaping, we can put you in a harness with a special leash for these animals. It is necessary to pay attention to the compliments that we choose for your cage. For example, the trough we put in must be difficult to tip over. The bottle drinker has to be high capacity so that our pet will never run out of clean water. We should never forget to put him in a toilet or toilet in one of the corners of his cage so that he can relieve himself. And as a substrate for the w.c. tray and the base of the cage it would be best to put a vegetable bed. It is advisable not to use newsprint because it contains ink and the ink contains chemical agents, which could ingest it and cause health problems. There are different options on the market. Such as extruded bedding, wood shavings or hay.

What hygiene care does a dwarf rabbit need?

It is not necessary to bathe them because it is a fairly clean animal but if it is done it must always be with products suitable for them. Like cats, rabbits lick a lot, so we must make sure that the hygiene products we use for them do not contain chemicals. Pay close attention, especially in spring and autumn, to brushing your hair often, even daily. This will avoid hairballs in the stomach and the health risk to our bunny rabbit that this entails.

What veterinary care does a dwarf rabbit need?

As with any other pet we have, it will be a good idea to have about 2 veterinary check-ups a year. We will make sure that your eyes, weight, teeth, hair condition (the condition of the hair is very significant as far as the health of the animal is concerned) are well checked. During these check-ups, we will take advantage of the opportunity to internally deworm it and vaccinate it, especially in spring, against Myxomatosis and Viral Hemorrhagic Disease.

And finally, the best advice I can give you is to give him a lot of love and I am sure that he will give you much more.

Share

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *